Eczema causes inflammation and patches of dryness on the skin’s top layer. When not properly treated, the initial discomfort and itching leads to open wounds, at which point it is much more difficult to heal. It can appear on cheeks, legs, forearms, and neck. Coconut oils and other natural oils are very effective natural remedies for eczema, and you’re about to learn several different methods for using them at home.
How Coconut Oil Treats Eczema
- Coconut oil contains anti-fungal, antimicrobial, antioxidant, and antibacterial properties that relieve itching and reduce inflammation.
- Coconut oil contains caprylic acid, lauric acid, capric acid, and vitamin E and K, all of which relieve itching and prevent flaking and infection.
- The lauric acid found in coconut oil is also present in breast milk. The body converts it into monolaurin, a compound that protects against viruses, bacteria, fungus, and other micro-organisms. It deeply penetrates into your skin and moisturizes it by protecting it from the environmental and free radical damages.
- Coconut oil nourishes and moisturizes skin without harsh chemicals.
- Coconut oil supports the immune system.
- Coconut oil contains medium chain fatty acids (MCFA) or medium–chain triglycerides (GCT) which help restore the protective outer layers of the skin.
- Coconut oil softens, nourishes and protects the skin and hair.
- Take 2-4 tablespoons of coconut oil daily.
- Use it in your cooking to strengthen your immune system.
- You can also add this in smoothies and drinks.
- Apply coconut oil to affected areas of skin 3 times daily.
- Apply it before going to sleep and leave on overnight.
- This gives your skin the vitamins, nutrients, and fats it needs to heal.
- Warm 5 tablespoons coconut oil until it becomes liquid.
- Mix it with 2 teaspoons each of vitamin E oil and Rosemary oil.
- Apply to eczema and leave on few minutes.
- Rinse with water.
- In a bowl, mix ½ cup liquid virgin coconut oil, ¼ cup of your favorite vinegar, ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, and sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix all ingredients well and use as dressing on salads.
- Store in bottle for future use. Make sure to warm before using it again.
- Grind ½ cup oatmeal into a powder.
- Heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil until it is liquid.
- Add oatmeal powder and coconut oil.
- Soak for 15-20 minutes.
- Pat dry and repeat regularly to get re.
- Before bed, rub coconut oil into your hands like a lotion.
- Leave for few minutes.
- Gently wash your hands and repeat throughout the day.
- Apply before going to bed and leave on overnight.
How to Treat Eczema with Coconut Oil
1. Internal Consumption
2. Topical Application
3. Coconut Oil and Vitamin E Oil
4. Coconut Oil Vinaigrette
5. Coconut Oil and Oatmeal Bath
6. Treating Eczema on Hands
7. Treating Eczema on Scalp
Eczema on scalp is a non-contagious skin disorder, it makes scalp itchy, scaly, flakey which causes dandruff, discomfort and other scalp problems.
- Use your fingertips to massage 2-3 tablespoons coconut oil directly into your scalp.
- Leave for at least 1 hour but preferably overnight.
- Shampoo and condition hair as normal.
- This relieves itching, flaking, dryness and moisturize scalp.
- Note: you can add camphor to your coconut oil for enhanced results.
8. Treating Eczema in Infants
Eczema in babies (infant eczema or toddler eczema or atopic dermatitis) will occurs anywhere on the body and causes the symptoms like redness, itching, flaking, cracking in the arms, scalp, sides of the nose, elbows, face, behind the knees, cheeks, eyes, etc…
- Gently massage extra virgin coconut oil into eczema-affected skin.
- Leave on for a few hours.
- Rinse with water.
- Add a few drops of coconut oil to your baby’s bath.
- After the bath, apply a few more drops to eczema-affected skin.
- Leave it on and dress your baby in clean, breathable clothing.
9. Treating Eczema and Psoriasis with Coconut Oil
Coconut oil also used to treat psoriasis. It prevents the formation of free radicals and thereby prevents the appearance of the pigmentation that reduces and eliminates the dryness and exfoliation of the skin.
- Heat 3-5 tablespoons organic coconut oil until it is liquid.
- Gently massage into affected skin.
- Repeat twice daily, before bed and in the morning.
- You can use this in your diet either by cooking or as salad dressing.
- Take few drops of virgin coconut oil and apply it on the affected area before going to bed.
- Cover treated area with cloth or saran-wrap overnight.